SOCIAL REHABILITATION AND RURAL UPLIFTMENT
Even after 60 years of independence, villages in and around Puducherry continue to remain backward due to a combination of natural, social and economic tribulation. They include illiteracy, unemployment lack of sanitation, water–borne diseases, malnutrition, alcoholism, and scarce medical facilities among others.
Sriram Charitable Trust seeks to address the needs of societies most neglected. The problems are colossal. The Trust is lighting a candle instead of cursing the darkness. Its contribution to reduce these problems may amount to a drop in the ocean today. All the same, the ocean is richer by a drop.
FOCUS AREAS OF THE TRUST IN SOCIAL REHABILITATION AND RURAL UPLIFTMENT
- Helping people in disaster
- Helping rehabilitation centers (NGO’s)
- Moral value education and personal hygiene in schools
HELPING PEOPLE IN DISASTER
- Cyclone/flooding, tsunami, earthquake, etc.
HELPING REHABILITATION CENTERS (NGO’S)
- AIDS patients
- Street children
- Old age homes
- Mentally challenged
- Physically challenged
- Hearing impaired
- Mr. Sriram Subramanya, Trustee of Sriram Charitable Trust, handed over a cheque to Mr. Baskaran from Chinmaya Mission for Gayathri Homam.
- Mr. Sriram Subramanya and Anuradha Sriram, Trustees of Sriram Charitable Trust, have sponsored a two-wheeler to Sivaraman who is physically challenged.
- Trust representative distributed Diwali sweets to the orphanage home Santhosha Nanban, Pondicherry.
- Trust representative distributed Diwali sweets to the orphanage home Thiyagaoli, Pondicherry.
- Donated INR100,000 for conducting Chinmaya Chanting Competition every year in the schools at Pondicherry.
- Mr. Shanmugam, Senior HR Manager at Integra handed over a sponsorship cheque to social worker Mrs. Chitrakala for the Breast Cancer Program at JIPMER on August 21, 2014.
- Managing Trustee provided educational scholarship to 41 hearing-impaired students from Sri Patcheappan School on August 21, 2014.
- Organized, in collaboration with Chinmaya Seva Trust at Pondicherry, chanting competition on Sagalakala Valli Malai at Hindu Mathuranthagam School on August 20, 2014.
- Organized ITI course awareness program for girl students at Illangaovadigalar Higher Secondary School at Muthirapalyam.
- Mrs. Malliga, Head Mistress, canvassed the parents of failed and low-scoring students on ITI course at Illangovadigalar Higher Secondary School at Muthirapalayam.
- Managing Trustee distributed the school bags, notebooks, and educational materials to students, and umbrellas to the teachers at Vinobah Nagar Government High School.
- The Trust representative organized the awareness session on ITI courses for the students who do not have sources to join schools/institutes. This session was held during the third counseling, conducted by the Education Department, Government of Puducherry, at Kathirkamam Government Girls Higher Secondary School.
- The Trust representative organized and coordinated with Chinmaya Seva Trust for Vinayagar Agaval satsang at Ilango Nagar.
- Integra employees’ donated money has been handed over to JUWALLA Home for the mentally challenged people on July 15, 2014.
- Moral value education and personal hygiene sessions were taken for 9th,10th,11th and 12th standard girls students at Illangovadigalar Government Higher secondary School, Pondicherry.
- Mr. Paul Blackburn and Mr. Jolliffe handed over three tailoring machines to lower-income women from Missionaries of Charity in Anbu Illam on behalf of Sriram Charitable Trust
- Sponsorship provided to GRATIAS NGO program. Prizes distributed to the old age and orphanage people from the NGO
- Organized carrier guidance and counseling program for the 10th and 12th standard students at Mathuranthagam Hindu Higher Secondary School
- Financial support to pay the annual fees has been provided by Ms. Louise Caeron on behalf of Sriram Charitable Trust to 35 students at Sri Patcheappan Hearing Impaired School at Pondicherry on February 22, 2014.
- A computer was donated by Ms. Louise Cameron on behalf of Sriram Charitable Trust to the students at Mathiya’s Higher Secondary School on February 22, 2014.
- Sponsored and coordinated Chinmaya Bagavath Geetha Yagna program on February 8–12, 2014, at Kamban Kalai Arangam.
- Organized Azim Premji Foundation’s quality teaching training workshop for the teachers at Mathuranthagam Hindu School on January 25, 2014.
- Inaugurated a tailoring unite for the poor adolescents to support their livelihood on January 24, 2014.
- Three sets of computer have been donated for education of the children of the orphan home, Immaculate Heart of Social Service Society, on January 1, 2014.
- P-Cube Training conducted by Chinmaya team for the teachers of HINDU HSS at Mathuranthagam
- Chanting Competition for The school students from Mathuranthagam.
- Computer donated to Ms. Ganga studying in B.com., 3rd year.
- LCD projector donated to the Chinmaya Seva Trust.
- Computer donated to the Primary Government Boys School at Kenipattu.
- The headmistress of Ellangovadigalar Government Higher Secondary School gave a CITATION to the Managing Trustee of Sriram Charitable Trust.
- Computers donated to the Ellangovadigalar Higher secondary School Pondicherry.
- Computers donated to the USS Vocational Rural School at Pollambakkam.
- Trustee of Sriram Charitable Trust distribute cheque to Pondicherry University for conducting conference meeting.
- Mr. Dawn from USA Integra’s customer distributed a cheque to Karthik medical student of JIPMER for sponsorship of Marathan run to create traffic awareness among the public in Pondicherry.
- Ms. Deb Shor has handed over a cheque to Mrs. Kumuthini a board member of Sheva Padmasani Matriculation School for toilet construction.
- Construction expenses of a thatched shed sponsored to Mr. Ramakrishnan.
- V. Saroja, w/o. late Varadharaj, Puducherry, received aid on April 18, 2012.
- Ms. Banumathi Appaji from Jwala Home for Mentally Challenged Women and Children received aid to construct own building.
- Mrs. M. Jeyalakshmi received relief aid for reconstructing her house which was affected by Thane Cyclone.
- V. Sathiyamurthy, s/o late Selvam @ Vengadesaperoumal, Puducherry received aid.
- Vudhavi Karangal Samuga Nala Thodar Kalvi Iyakkam-Puducherry, received aid on July 24, 2012.
- Government Boys Primary School, Murhirapalayam-Puducherry, received aid on November 16, 2012.
- Puducherry Amateur Aquatic Association, Puducherry received aid on November 16, 2012.
- Training conducted by CII at Villupuram district on CSR (Corporate Social Responsibilities) activities.
- Representative interact with the parents of hearing impaired children at Shri Patchayappan School.
- Financial support for Mrs. Boopahty’s son is studying BDS.
- Supported for toilet consturction for the students and teachers for Hindu Higher Secondary School at Mathuranthagam.
- V. Sathiyamurthy, s/o. late Selvam @ Vengadesaperoumal, Puducherry, received his monthly livelihood surviving aid.
- Ms. Emma Lonie from OUP-US handed over a cheque to Sri Patchayapane hearing impaired school.
- Ms. Kate Hind from Oxford University Press, USA handed over a cheque for financial help, on behalf of Sriram Charitable Trust, to Sathiyamoorthy who had lost both his parents. The Trust has been partly supporting his living expenses.
- Ms. Deborah Shor from OUP – US handed over the Integra’s donation box collection to Uthavikarangal.
HELPING PEOPLE IN DISASTER
Pondicherry was severely affected by a cyclone during November 2008. A lot of people living in low lying areas lost their homes. The Trust donated 4000 bread packets, 500 Nos. of biscuit packets and 300 liters milk to people in Reddiyarpalayam, Pondicherry.
Further, 2150 kg of rice was also distributed to people in Panithittu village, Pondicherry.
HELPING REHABILITATION CENTRES (NGO’S)
Steel cots donated to “Shanthi Bhavan”, Kalapet, Pondicherry which houses HIV-infected patients. This home has over 100 inmates.
VUDHAVIKARANGAL THODAR KALVI IYYAKKAM: It is a non profitable organization functioning in Nonankuppam, Pondicherry for the past 16 years. It is a home for nearly 75 street children. Educational expenses for 7 college students from this home are borne by the Trust.
OLD AGE HOMES
The Trust donated one power inverter with IGBT technology to Missionaries of Charity (Anbu Nilayam), Reddiayarpalayam, Pondicherrry. This is a special home for people affected by leprosy. The home has about 100 patents.
Carunnai Special School : This school located at Reddiarpalayam, Pondicherry, is for the mentally challenged children. About 100 students suffering from autism are studying in the school. Educational expenses for 15 children from this school are borne by the Trust.
Satya Special School : This School located at Muthialpet, Pondicherry is a special school for mentally challenged children. About 80 students are studying in the school. Educational expenses for 12 students from this school are borne by the Trust.
Sewing machines were donated to 4 differently challenged women to help them earn their own living.
Sri Patcheappane School : This school is for the hearing impaired children, functioning at Thengaithittu, Pondicherry. This school has about 110 students. Educational expenses for 22 students are borne by the Trust.